Last month we announced the addition of Meadows Edge Deer Fuel as a new Truck-Buck sponsor, and now GON is pleased to welcome another new sponsor of the biggest and best deer contest. Truck-Buck is a great bonus for GON subscribers.
Havalon Knives joins the Truck-Buck family with prizes that will go to the wildcard winners in this season’s contest.
The Truck-Buck contest is unique in that there are winners every week of deer season. The highest-scoring buck in the Northern Zone and the best buck from the Southern Zone during each of the 17 weeks of Georgia’s deer season win great weekly prizes, plus they earn a spot in the Shoot-Out.
The Shoot-Out is a pellet-rifle competition held at the Outdoor Blast each year. The best shot wins the grand prize pickup truck with the truck bed filled with 2,000 pounds of Meadows Edge Deer Feed, while the second-best shot wins a Beast Ultimate Hunting Buggy.
In addition to the weekly winners, there are four wildcard categories, with winners in each category for the Northern and Southern zones.
The wildcard spots in the Shoot-Out are for the best bucks taken by Youth, Ladies, Public-Land and Runner-Up. Now, thanks to Havalon, those eight wildcard winners will each receive a Havalon Evolve Multi-Tool.
To enter the Truck-Buck contest, hunters simply kill a buck, enter online or by mailing an application and pictures (see page 80). To win, you only have to beat other magazine subscribers who kill a buck the same week in their half of the state.
Make sure you are a GON subscriber before you kill the buck. If you are 23 and living at home, you will need to buy your own subscription. Only dependent kids (actually claimed as a dependent on parents’ taxes) can enter on a subscription. Grandparents, please buy a gift subscription for the grandkids! The kids have their own contest, too. See page 62 for details on the Youth Big-Buck Contest.
The Truck-Buck contest is divided into scoring periods that coincide with the weeks of deer season. Each week, the best buck entered from the Northern Zone and the best buck from the Southern Zone win prizes and earn a spot in the Shoot-Out. You don’t have to kill the biggest buck in the state, just the highest-scoring buck during a week of the deer season in your hunting zone.
Hunters can also make the Shoot-Out through four wildcard divisions: Youth, Ladies, Public Land and Runner-Up. Two hunters from each category will qualify—the largest for both the Northern and Southern zones.
Here are the prizes for the 2016-17 Truck-Buck contest:
• A new 4×4 Chevy Silverado pickup truck from John Megel Chevrolet.
• A new Beast hunting buggy loaded with accessories including lift kit, camo body, front basket, brushguard, headlight and taillight, rear seat kit and custom front seats.
• 11 Browning X-Bolt Stainless Stalker deer rifles.
• 5 Mathews Halon compound bows.
• 42 personalized GON Shoot-Out jerseys from Realtree.
• 17 HSS Ultra-Lite Flex 320 harnesses from Hunter Safety System.
• 17 prize packages of scent products from Tinks.
• 8 Evolve Multi-Tools from Havalon Knives.
• A .50 caliber CVA Accura MR SS Nitrade Muzzleloader with scope and case.
There are no check stations for Truck-Buck. Simply kill a buck, take good photos, and enter at www.gon.com.
Top Reasons Entries Are Not Allowed
1. Out of college and still live at home, and parent gets GON. You must be a dependent, meaning mom or dad claims you for an IRS deduction, to enter on dad’s subscription. If you’re 23, get a subscription in your name if you’d like to enter.
2. Didn’t get pictures. If you want to enter a buck, you have to take some pictures before the buck is caped out.
3. Missed the deadline. We have to receive your entry by seven business days from when the buck was killed. Online entry through www.gon.com is easy and quick.
4. What subscription? Don’t let your GON membership expire. If you’re not a subscriber before you kill the buck, you can’t enter.
5. It’s my grandkid! The rule applies to grandpas and uncles. Get a subscription that goes to the kid’s house.
$1,000 HSS Bonus
Wear your Hunter Safety System (HSS) harness when you take your Truck-Buck entry photos. If you win a week or a wildcard spot, and then go on to win the Truck-Buck Shoot-Out, HSS will add a $1,000 bonus to go along with your brand-new pickup truck.